Tuesday, July 24, 2007

You GOTTA Be Kidding Me

I know this is out of character for me,

But I am pissed,

So today will not be a day of encouraging,

But rather a day to rant so you may be more aware of safety issues in gyms.

We as personal trainers and fitness professionals have an obligation to our clients:

That obligation is to ensure the health and safety of clients and fitness participants.

Now, we could limit that obligation ONLY to people we train, but I personally believe

We have an obligation to help anyone we are physically able to.

I do not work for any gyms currently, but I have 10+ years of experience working in gyms as an employee.

I also have 4 years of experience working in a health care facility as a Recreational Therapist, so I may be aware of the rules of safety in many places.

But what happens when it is me who gets hurt in a gym?

When a piece of their equipment is defective and I take a BAD fall as a result?

I report the piece of equipment and ensure it is immediately removed from use,

Because that is what you do when you are protecting the safety of others,

Even though there was nothing financial to be gained on my part,

IT"S JUST WHAT WE AS TRAINERS SHOULD DO.

So imagine my surprise when I walk back in the gym today and the SAME piece

Of equipment is on the floor.

Not only that, but there are two defective pieces of equipment.

I tell one of the trainers, who then begins to tell me, a Master Trainer, that there is nothing wrong with the piece of equipment, it was my workout!

Not only that, but he proceeded to run a list of reasons why the equipment was not the problem......

I will stop boring you with details here because that is not my point.

My point is this:

We as consumers (myself included here because I don't work for this facility)

Have the right to workout in a safe environment, with knowledgeable trainers, who do not exhibit gross neglect of equipment.

We also have the right to work with staff who have ACTUALLY BEEN TRAINED ON THE EQUIPMENT WE ARE USING!

If you are ever injured in a gym and the staff begins to blame you, immediately document the issue including names and phone numbers of witnesses, and get a good attorney.

This large gym used intimidation tactics against me to make me feel responsible, when in fact due to gross negligence, they could get sued in a heart beat.

I am not going there, it is not worth my time, but I may report them to the Better Business Bureau or the local news.

Please use caution in the gym and report any unsafe conditions.

If the issue is not resolved, take it to a higher level of management, or as I did, STOP being a member of that facility.

Yours in Health.

No comments: