Friday, April 20, 2007

Lovely Day Workout, Rocky Style!

I know it is April 20th, but this really is the first day of great weather in weeks! I don't know about where you are in the world, but the weather here in the Northeastern United States has been unseasonably cold. We even had snow over the last week! Combine that with the torrential rains that left me searching for Noah and his Ark, and you will understand why I am so excited by this Lovely Day!

To celebrate how grateful I am for the break in the weather, today we are going to talk about an outdoor workout. As soon as the weather is nice enough I take my clients outside to train. It is a fabulous way to break the monotony of our long winter workouts, get extra cardio, and completely restructure their routines. And I have to say that there is something very moving about being outside with a client and watching the sky wake up with a spectacular SUNRISE. It never fails to take my breath away. The SUNRISE, I am truly thankful to witness it and I always pause and count my blessings. Is there any better way to start a day? ;-)

We in the Northeast are going to flock outdoors now, so pack your sneakers and get ready to FEEL GREAT!

Simply by getting out and walking you will begin your journey to health and fitness. Make sure you stand tall, pull your belly in and swing your arms to burn even more calories.

If you would like more of a challenge and can find a flight if stairs, even 5 or 6 steps, you can do this workout. Being a Philly Native, I am inspired by the steps at the Philadelphia Museum of Art where Rocky Balboa ran up to fame and fortune. Remember, work at a level that is appropriate for you. You do not have to run or jump, if you believe walking and stepping through this routine is all you can physically handle, please do so.

Each one of these moves you are going to do for 45 seconds and repeat 3-5 times:

1. Run (or walk) up and down stairs for 45 sec with a minute or more recovery. Repeat.
2. Front/back hop on FIRST STEP only, 45 seconds, same recovery.
3. Lateral (side to side) hop on/off the first step, 20 seconds right side, 20 seconds left side. Same recovery

These are quick intervals that you can do to make your outdoor routine a little more interesting. Have fun and practice all of the universal standards of safety during exercise. Remember to warm up, cool down and stretch at the end of your workout.

Have fun and enjoy the SUNSHINE on this LOVELY DAY!

No comments: