Thursday, April 19, 2007

No Excuse Workouts!

As a fitness professional, I see the opportunity to exercise everywhere. I am also a reality TV fan, so I naturally I see a link between the two.

My friend the "Mighty" Joe Stankowski blogged today about reality TV in his "Morning Cup Of Joe," and that got me thinking about the impact of reality TV on the American viewing audience.

There are a few reality TV programs emphasising weight loss, such as "Celebrity Fit Club" and "The Biggest Loser." I have mixed emotions about these two shows specifically, because I LOVE to workout, but I often find myself shocked by the workout programs that the unconditioned participants are subjected to. I personally would not choose to subject myself to a great number of the workouts...and I LOVE to workout! I can't imagine what it must be like to be a completely unconditioned person watching a show where the participants are pushed to the point of tears or sheer exhaustion. I don't believe they create a realistic or healthy expectation about the types of programs available for the average person to participate in. That being said, I am personally aware of the many local groups inspired by the show "The Biggest Loser" and hope they achieve the goals they have set out for themselves.

One of my new Reality TV discoveries is "Dancing With the Stars." I had never watched it before this season, but I started taking Salsa lessons this year I was curious to watch the dancers for myself. WOW! These contestants are working their butts off to master these skills in a short period of time...and then they get on national television with the experts....and you know the rest..... Is anyone else as inspired as I am to dance more after watching that show? The moves are amazing! And it is a spectacular cardiovascular workout.

What is that mumbling I hear? You have no time for lessons and they must cost a fortune? I hear you, but I am going to suggest a FUN, PRACTICAL and FREE way to dance your butt off as well. I tried it today and I had a BLAST while I was sweating my way to health and fitness.

If you have 20 minutes (or longer) and access to your favorite music YOU TOO have a one way ticket to dancing your way into good health! Try this, ESPECIALLY if you DO NOT feel like working out! It is FUN, FAST and will put you in a GREAT MOOD!

I like putting my iPod on, because I can play the music as loud as I want. I also can listen to whatever I want and won't offend any one with my "taste" in workout music. Go to a room, or anywhere you feel comfortable, and put on your favorite music to dance to. If you are self conscious, go to a room with a locked door so you can really have fun! (See, NO EXCUSES)
Then DANCE, DANCE, DANCE...for as long as you would like. MOVE! Have fun! Shake your hips, move your arms, speed up, slow down. There is no wrong way for you to dance in private, it is all up to you. It is fun, freeing and burns calories.

Be silly, Be sexy, Be sweaty, but most importantly Be the cause of your health and fitness transformation. It will feel wonderful, just try it for yourself.

No Monthly membership fees, no trips to the gym, no baby sitters involved. In fact, if you have children let them try it with you. See, there are no excuses why you can't workout.

Have fun and feel good!

No comments: