Thursday, August 30, 2007

Things That Make Me Go HMMM....

As you may already know, I often train my clients at local parks and waterfronts. Being outside allows my clients to have a greater variety of choices in their workouts, while adding a social component to our training routines which would otherwise occur in private homes and gyms.

It also affords us another opportunity: people watching.

During one of the workouts this morning I saw something so ironic it made me laugh. The area in which I live has a relatively large Chinese population, and for months my clients and I have been greeted with warm smiles and waves from our Chinese counterparts. Consistently, we are sharing the park with about 12-15 people working out in various forms: walking, running, callistentics, stretching, Tai Chi, and even pull ups on the local trees. But there is something striking about these fitness enthusiasts: their ages probably go from 70-90+ years old. No Kidding. What is even more facinating is their ease of mobility. These ladies and gentlemen walk at a brisk pace, swing their arms, stretch and rotate freely! They don't limp or shuffle. Their posture is relatively good, and their joints appear to function normally...and I will reiterate...they are no younger than 70!

So what made me laugh? One of the women carries a cane, though her gait (walking pattern) appears to be strong and balanced. I would have to guess she is in her mid 80s, she is one of the regular walkers and Tai Chi participants. Today she was completing her normal morning laps, and she passed someone, not quickly, but she passed him and lapped him around the park. No big deal, except he was 6 feet tall, about 250 lbs and only around 30 years old! She is 80, 4'8" (on a good day) and carrying a cane!!!!

Now, I can guess with some certainty these people are immigrants, as none of them speak English but often attempt pleasant comment on our workouts. As Americans, we are from one of the richest countries in the world, yet our citizens do not place so much emphasis on their own physical well being. My observation of the Chinese athletes (I am calling them athletes) is they see the importance of moving every muscle, every day, and it has increased their longevity and vibrancy in life. They walk through the park swinging their arms in all different directions. They do jumping jacks, clap their hands, twist and turn.....could this be the fountain of youth?

What a concept...just move! No equipment necessary. Just move, and walk and talk with friends at the same time...it really could be that simple!

I don't know about you, but I think that is one of the most positive thoughts....because it is so simple, anyone could do that everyday. We still need quality food and clean water, but WOW! What if being healthy and living a long active life is just THAT simple? I wouldn't mind being out of a job if it meant the world was a healthier, happier place, because that is a world I would love to live in!

Have a healthy day.....get out for a walk!

No comments: