Thursday, May 17, 2007

I Like To Move It Move It

I am very blessed in my career.

Everyday I get to wake up and workout. I get to move with my clients, they get in shape and I have additional doses of fitness all day long.

I like to move, I like to stand, and I like to take the stairs.

Which came first, the movement or the fitness?

I know for a fact that I have lived periods in my life when fitness was not a priority. Just ask anyone who knew me my first few years in college. I was not a model of physical activity, and it showed.

So if I have been able to transform my life to where I actually enjoy moving more, then you can too. Believe me, it's true. I am sure my college room mate can attest to my marathon naps and pizza eating.

So what happened? What changed?

I started. I took the first steps and joined a gym. That was January 2, 1990, and I am learning more about fitness and living a healthy lifestyle everyday.

For example: I really believe if you move more you will look and feel better. Period.

If you start to walk more, dance, climb the stairs, stand instead of sit, you will be burning more calories and creating more energy. Participating in greater amounts of exercise will become easier, if you start moving more.

It is basic physics: it takes energy to create energy. Once you start moving there will be more energy available so you can move more.

The same goes for staying still. If you sit still, the longer you sit the less energy is available to you, so you sit.

And sit,

And sit.

Get up! Move. Even if you are at your desk right now, did you know by being aware of sitting up straight you are in action to improve your posture and feel better?

It is the little things through out the course of the day that make all the difference.

Those little things add up.

Like dropping spare change in a piggy bank, before you know you can buy a new pair of shoes.

But if you never start putting it in there, it will never happen.

Move more. Move more. Move more.

You WILL begin to look and feel better....and that is what we all want, right?

1 comment:

Hawk said...

Jo-Ellen, I am a Physical Education instructor and running coach at a small Oklahoma school.You have got the same fitness bug that I have. I am an avid runner/biker/weight-lifter/ health conscious guy. Keep up the great blog!