Monday, May 21, 2007

Lost On A Desert Island

When you are facing something difficult, are you the type of person to reach out to others or do you go it alone?

I am the type of person who reaches out.

I call a friend or family member.

Not even to rehash the issue, but to sometimes not feel so alone.

We are not islands.

When you are making changes in your life and life style, it helps to have support around you.

Someone you can talk to.

Someone to draw support from.

Someone to reassure you or refocus you when you have gotten off track.

We reach out for support, because there is a synergistic affect in numbers, especially among people on the same path.

Take advantage of those around you who are already working out and eating healthy.

Talk to your friends and family members who have been expressing a desire to exercise more and eat healthier.

When you draw on the strength of others you can be stronger for yourself.

And you can also help them when they need your support.

I once wrote to a dear friend of mine that I had felt like an island for so long.

But that he had become the sea around me,

a reflecting pool that both protected me

And connected me to the shore.

That he was as gentle as the rolling tide

But carried the impact of a tidal wave.

I will never forget how important his friendship was to me,

And how I stopped being a castaway because of him.

Reach out to those you love, and those who love you

When you need support along this journey

Because there can be no island without the sea.

No comments: