Wednesday, May 2, 2007

WHY Do I Workout?

I am constantly talking to people about their workouts, and I am often fascinated by the lack of continuity between someones goals and their dedication to achieve those goals.

Here's a funny story, sad, but true: When I first became a personal trainer, I was eager to help my clients achieve their fitness goals. I was training a woman in her home twice a week, and to put it kindly, she was difficult. She refused to take the advice I was giving her, which is challenging enough in a client/trainer relationship, but she often put the blamed me for her lack of results. Being new to my field, I felt responsible and took on the stress of HER results.

One of her major training goals was to tone her lower body. I fully understand that many of these exercises are challenging, but one of the best moves for the legs and glutes is the LUNGE, it all of it's forms-- and yes the lunge is an uncomfortable exercise. To make a long story short, I instructed her to do walking lunges, and she abruptly put the weights down, parked her hands on her wide hips and said: "Jo, all of my trainers have wanted me to do Lunges and I am not going to do them, so you are just going to have to figure out a way for me to get the results without doing lunges."

True story! Needless to say, I was soon in the history books with all of her other personal trainers. I learned a valuable lesson with this client, and I am eternally grateful for having trained her because it taught me about responsibility and dedication. Of course we all want the results, I talk to new people everyday about their goals, but WHY do you want them? Until you figure out WHY you may always find a reason for WHY NOT. Your WHY has to be big enough that no WHY NOT will get in the way.

List the reasons WHY you want to get in shape. Post them everywhere in your space so you can be reminded of them daily, that way you will focus on why YOU set YOUR GOAL in the first place. There is no one else to blame for lack of results, there is only your dedication to your goal.

Why do I workout? I have a list that is so long, I can't see a single reason why not.

No comments: